Sevastopol Panorama "Defense of Sevastopol in 1854-1855"
Homepage » Articles » Cool Vacation Spots » Sevastopol Panorama "Defense of Sevastopol in 1854-1855"
Registration Login

Follow us!

Site Search





Weather in Ukraine
    

Sevastopol Panorama "Defense of Sevastopol in 1854-1855"

23 Jul 2011 1:17 PM
In the central part of the historic boulevard located famous panorama "Defense of Sevastopol in 1854-1855". It is the world famous monument of heroism and national heritage. There is shown an episode of 349-day defense of Sevastopol – repelling  an attack by city's defenders June 6, 1855.

Panorama author is  Franz A. Roubaud, Full Member of the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts, the founder of Russian panoramic art. 

Sevastopol Panorama BuildingPanorama was opened to the public May 14, 1905. It is housed in a special cylindrical shape building, which was designed by the military engineer OI Enberg and architect VA Feldman. Classic Two-column portal, bricket by Inkerman stone and decorated at the top with elements of the military decoration. There is a soldier's Cross of St. George, entwined with St. George's ribbon, figure 349 indicates the number of days of defense. In niches of the building installed thirteen marble busts of heroes of the Sebastopol defense: admirals, VA Kornilov, PS Nakhimov, VI Istomin, AI Panfilov, FM Novosilsky, Captain I rank GI Butakova, General SA Khrulev, Captain A. Melnikov, sailors Peter Koshka and Ignatius s Shevchenko, LN Tolstoy, surgeor NI Pirogov and the favorite of the defenders Dasha Sevastopolskaya

In a wide vestibule of the building placed a sculptural portrait of the FA Roubaud by artist SA Chizh, as well as plaques with the names of glorious defenders of Sevastopol. Exposition hall contains relics telling about those who defended the Black Sea fortress, whose prowess earned Sevastopol the title of city of Russian glory. Part of the exhibition reflects the history of creation and re-creation of the panorama. A steep staircase leads to the observation deck. On the wall of the building placed a painting of length 115, height - 14 meters, the area of 1610 square meters. On a wooden platform is detailed plan with total area of 900 square meters.

Panorama of Sevastopol defence 1855The viewer who has risen to the observation deck, appears on top of Malakhov Hill on the day of the storming of June 6, 1855. 

During the Second World War the building of panorama was destroyed, a unique painting was damaged. Soviet soldiers risked their lives to save part of the painting. 

In 1954, the 100th anniversary of the first heroic defense of Sevastopol, a remarkable monument of national feat was restored by Soviet artists. Creative group, consisting of 17 people, headed by academician VN Yakovlev, and after his death, academician PP Sokolov-Skalia.

Category: Cool Vacation Spots, added by Celvin
Views: 631 | Rating: 0.0/0
Total comments: 0
Name *:
Email:
Code *:



Create a website for free 2010 - 2013 © Ukraine Vacation Guide