Kolomyia is a magical corner of the natural Carpathian landscape. It is also an important spiritual, cultural, artistic, commercial and economic center of the region with a rich and glorious history, which attracts scholars and artists from all over Ukraine and abroad.
Tourists from all over the world hurry to see unique collections in museum of Hutsulshchyna and Pokuttya of folk arts, museum "Easter egg", renovated historical center of the city.
Kolomyia is located in the southeastern part of the Ivano-Frankivsk region, halfway between Ivano-Frankivsk and Chernivtsi. Due to its favorable location, the city received from tourists very aptly title of "Gateway to the Carpathians". All the main tourist routes from west to east pass through Kolomyia.
Vacation in Kolomyia has its own special atmosphere: bubbling life, many young people, revival without fuss. You cem neet here staid burgers and rather strange "masters of life." Take a seat at the table of any of the outdoor restaurants and observe the defile of public. The pedestrian zone is one of Kolomyia vacation spots. It encompasses the historic center of the city. Here located Renaissance Square (formerly Rynok Square), the main street of the city named after Chernovil and much more. This is the cozy corner of the city: people here are willing to walk, meet, have merrily and a pleasant conversations, here a paradise for shoppers, where you can relax amid all the hustle. There is almost no one turns around, hearing a foreign language. Visitors from distant lands have become a familiar pattern.
Kolomyia is famous as the tourist center, here are lots of places where to go and what to see. That is what attracts many tourists.
History of Kolomyia
For the first time Kolomiya referred to as the "city apartment" of Prince Daniil Galitsky in Galicia-Volyn chronicle of 1241 year. The city is located at the intersection of important trade routes that led to Prague, Vienna, Regensburg and Mainz. In the middle of the XIII century Kolomiya and its suburbs have been an important center of salt production, which made big profits for princely coffers. Advantageous geographical location contributed to active trade with Poland, Hungary, Byzantine, Genoese and Venetian factories in the Black Sea, Lithuania and Western Europe. At that time Kolomiya was included into possession of Galitsko-Volyn state, serving as a commercial and fortification center on south-eastern border of Galich. Then, on the banks of the Prut River were four fortresses: in Kolomiya, Oleshko, Sniatyn and Chernivtsi.
During the period from 1349 to 1569 the city was under Polish rule. In 1405 Kolomiya received Magdeburg rights. In 1411 Kolomyia with all Pokuttya was sold for 25 years to the Moldovan Emperor Alexander on the condition that he will fight on the Polish side against Hungary. By the same reasoning later Kolomyia castle several times was given to the Moldovan magistrates.
In 1490 Kolomyia fortress could not resist the ten thousandth Army of rebel leader Ivan Mucha.
In 1498 the Turks and Wallachians destroyed the city and, moving west. Since then, they ruined Pokuttya almost annually. In 1502 and 1505 Kolomiya was burned, and in 1589 almost completely destroyed.
In 1772, after the first partition of Poland, the city went under the power of the Habsburgs. According to the new administrative order, in 1781 Kolomiya was included into the Stanislavsky District and partially lost its function of the county center. On the outskirts of the city slowly began to grow German colonies. During the XIX century, the government has built in Kolomiya 6 military barracks, and 3 gunpowder warehouses. The city concentrated forces, there were generated 70 groups to fight the insurgency. In 1884 in the city appeared tram on electricity.
September 15, 1914 in Russian troops entered the Kolomyia. During stay of the royal troops had been destroyed the monument to Taras Shevchenko, prohibited the publication of the Ukrainian press and books, and were shut Ukrainian bookstores and libraries. After the Polish-Ukrainian War, the city was included in the Polish Republic.
During the Second World War every third building of the city was burned, the Jewish population was destroyed. March 28, 1944 Soviet troops liberated Kolomyia from the German invaders.
The restoration of the citybegun but nevertheless many people were arrested and deported to Siberia, hit Catholic priests, have been destroyed and rebuilt some of the temples.
Interesting Facts about Kolomiya
- In 1880 in Kolomiya was arrested and spent three months in Kolomyia prison Ivan Franko.
- In 2009, Kolomiya was named by the magazine Focus safest cit" in Ukraine.
Must See in Kolomyia
- Museum "Easter Egg" (Pysanka)
- The Church of St. Michael
- Wooden Church of the Annunciation
- Museum of History of the City
- Museum "Easter Egg"
- Museum of Hutsulshchyna and Pokuttia Folk Art
- Town Hall