Ternopol is a city and administrative center of Ternopol region of Western Ukraine. City date of foundation is unknown, the first known reference to Ternopol occurs in 1524, when as a Polish town it was sacked by Tatars. Ternopol was known as a fortress. Tests of the XX century and World War II began for the city real disaster. Many historical places where destroyed.
Attractions in Ternopil
On the Theatre square situated Shevchenko’s Drama Theater. Near theater located great park with a monument of Solomiya Kryshelnitska – well known Ukrainian singer whose voice delighted Milan and Warsaw, Paris and Vienna. Many years ago on the square where large fairs, traded horses. Today the square is dominated by the Dominican church - was built between 1749 and 1779 by the architect A. Moszynski. Built in late Baroque style, the temple was named St. Vincent Ferrarskoho. Now is the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary (Church). In the middle of the square stands a monument to King Danilo Halitski. It’s interesting to know, that if you need some help (for example find out hotel or street) inhabitants always try to help you if they don’t understand English. How can they help? Ask them and will see.
There is Ternopol castle and a small park on the bank of lake. The original fortress with high stone walls was completed in 1558. Today, nothing like that before he had defensive walls and drawbridge. Feature construction of the castle is also the fact that from the shore palace has three floors, and from the lake - five. During the Second World War the building was partially destroyed. Now it is a popular recreation place equipped marinas where you can rent a boat, take part to different excursion program.
At the intersection of Freedom Square is the Church of the Nativity, which is sometimes called Medium. It is one of the best works of Podolsk architectural school, rebuilt in the XIX century and in 1925 to the XVI century. Near the church was Stone gate that oriented merchants, riding into the city.
National Historical Museum, a museum of national liberation struggle of the OUN, memorial rooms devoted to prominent figures of Ukrainian culture Krushelnitska Lepkoho, I.Pul'uj and others, archaeological museum in a cave Verteba, which is museum in the in a cave.
By the way
In Ternopol region there are about 4000 monuments of history and culture and focus a third of all the castles and castle building in Ukraine. The region has a national nature reserve "Castles of Ternopol" centered in Zbarazh and state historical-architectural reserve - Berezhany and Kremenets-Pochaiv. Most objects of cultural heritage are concentrated in small historic towns, which are almost all districts of the region, but it's primarily a city Buchach, Zbarazh, Kremenets, Chertkov.
There are some short descriptions of these tourist centers. The most common version claims that Chertkov appeared in 1522near the castle nobleman George Chartkovskoho. Until mid XX Chertkov was a place of pilgrimage for Jews from different parts of Europe. The local town hall surprised unusual architecture in Ukraine. This style is typical for German houses. It is just a few steps from Old Market Square to come across old office buildings. Part of city hall and the area is still used for trade. Dominican Church of Our Lady and St. Stanislaus was built in 1619 at the corner market near the monastery (1610 p.). Church of the Ascension of Christ (1717) - a beautiful example of Ukrainian wooden architecture. At the beginning it was built without any nails. Several times the church burned during the attack. The last major reconstruction took place in 1717.
The first written mention of Buchach refers to 1397. In 1515 the city received a Magdeburg right. Castle Buchach located in the southwestern part of the city atop a high hill with steep slopes which fall to the stream. The first mention of the castle belongs to 1379, when the 1372-1379 years Advanits Michael (Michal Adwaniec) built in Buchach castle and church. Castle formed oval with three defensive towers. There was only one tower. The palace was built in Renaissance style, and had a fine gallery. In the residential towers and was the entrance to the cave, which is legendary. At the beginning of the XIX century was allowed to disassemble the castle walls for building materials, leading to the castle ruins. In the city center is located Buchach City Hall tower with two levels (1751r.) - most important architectural monument of 35 meters in height built on the orders of M. Potocki and decorated with sculptures H. Pinsel (preserved fragments of sculptures). Currently partially restored.
It's said that Zbarazh derived from the fact that it was a place of gathering troops. In IX-XII centuries. Slavic tribes lived here Dulebs. Zbarazh castle is located atop a mountain above the marshy river valley Hnizny. Castle Palace built in 1612 - 1627 years. Only after years of desolation fortress turned into a museum and began to rebuild. Apart from the fort, in Zbarazh deserves the attention of St. Anthony Church and adjoining Bernardine monastery building. Also deserve attention Savior Transfiguration and the Assumption Greek Orthodox Church and Zbarazh Museum.
Kremenets - a city situated at the foot of the mountains Kremenets first written mention of which dates from the 1227 year. Most prominent monuments irrespectively on reasons the city is Kremenets castle and church of Jesuits. Kremenets Castle was built in XII century. In the XIII century old wooden fortifications were replaced by stone.
In winter 1240 horde of Batu Khan failed to seize this fortress on Castle Hill. By the Union of Lublin castle belonged to the Lithuanian princes, then - Polish kings. Long time, this outstanding defensive structures no one could get. In October 1648 Kremenets castle was taken Cossacks under the command of M. Krivonosa and destroyed. Since then, the castle is not rebuilt. Survive on the gate tower and defensive walls.
There are the major pilgrimage centers: Holy Assumption Monastery in Pochaev (Kremenets district), which is one of the largest Orthodox shrines of the world; Mariinsky spiritual complex in Zarvanytsia (Terebovlyansky district), the main sanctuary of the Greek Catholics.
City Pochaev known that here is one of the most important Christian relics of Ukraine - Pochaiv Lavra. The main shrine of laurels is the icon of Our Lady of Pochaiv stored in the Assumption church. Icon was brought to Ukraine in 1559 the Greek Metropolitan Neophyte. A significant contribution to the Monastery did Nicholas Potocki. Thanks to its financial support of the church faced the Assumption. Construction lasted from 1771 to 1791 pp. In the temple at the same time can accommodate six thousand people. Under the sanctuary paintings carried out by L.Dolinsky, D. Bossey, I. Gorbunov, E. Vasiliev. The greatest glory of the sanctuary - magnificent iconostasis, made in 1861 Divinytsya laurels (65 m height) was built in 1862-1871 pp. It consists of five tiers. The largest numerical bells weighs almost 12 tons. Pochaiv Monastery is the most sophisticated and successful enterprises of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. There is paid parking, shop with items that are provided in the lease, without which not admit to the territory of the sanctuary, shops with various religious and tourist literature and souvenirs lively stylized guides and professional elders.
In Ternopil region is the village Zarvanytsya that he as a Christian center often put together with the Kiev-Pechersk and Pochaiv laurels. The first written mention of it dates back to 1458 year, and the name associated with the appearance of the miraculous image.