Drohobych is one of the oldest and most interesting cities of Lviv region, which recently celebrated 920 anniversary. It was founded at the end of XI century. In 1340 Drohobych became the center of eldership of Przemysl land of Ruthenian Voivodeship of the Kingdom of Poland, afterwards entered in the complement of Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. After the first Partition of Poland in 1772 Drohobych entered in the empire of Habsburgs. From 1939 city was under the Soviet administration, in 1939-1941 and 1944-1959 was the center of the Drohobych district. Now Drohobych belongs to the Lviv region and employs more than 78 thousand inhabitants.
There are many prominent personalities related to the city. Ivan Franko (1856-1916) - prominent writer and political activist, spent here the main part of his life, finished school and gymnasium.
Also with Drohobych connected famous polish fine artist and writer modernist of Jewish origin – Bruno Schulz (1892-1942). His museum placed in the main building of Dro hobych University. Many prominent peoples such us writers Vasyl’ Stephanyk, Les’ Martovych, composer Ostap Nyzhynkivs’kyj, colonel of UGA Grygorij Kossak finished Drohobych gymnasium.
There are many versions about origin of the name of Drohobych. According to one legend it was settlement Bych near salt source at the foothill of Carpathians Mountains. It was ruined in consequence of attack of cumans in XI century. The inhabitants of this settlement soon returned and rebuilt him not far away. And this city named "Another (Drugyj) Bych” – Drohobych. As to the next version, the name originates from words "other side” – "drugyj bik”, because modern city was based on other coast of river Pobug (Seret). Another version destroys the name Drohobytch from a word «drogovina», that a fenland means.
The first mention of Drohobych related to 1387, when city was alluded in Lviv city act. It gets Magdeburg Law in 1460. According to description of Drohobych of XVI-XVII centuries it was well fortify. At first time fortress is mentioned in 1506 and the last time in 1786.
Traditionally, the heart of city is Rynok Square with Statehouse. It was built in 20s of XX century upon the project of architect Mar’yan Nikodymovych in place of old one of XIV-XIX centuries. Statehouse noticeable by tower, what is looked over from city. Now city council of Drohobych siting here.
One of the historical places of interesting of Drohobych is St. Bartholomew church (Ascension Church). Historians assert it was built in place of Old Russian fortress, in particular bell tower was reconstructed from one of brick towers. Other fortifications was breaked up in XVIII – XIX centuries. Church was given to Drohobych by duke Vladyslav Jagello and rebuild in 1541. Many times temple suffered from hostile attacks, but regenerated. During Second World War inner setting of Chirch was lost, only tombstone of Katazhyna Ramyl’tova - the wife of proprietor of local salterns remains (1572).
Decor on the walls of temple testifies to his history: for example, marble decor of doors with two swords is reminder about falling in Battle of Grunwald. At soviet times Chirch is used as stock building of theater property. Just in 1989-1991 it was returned to Greek Catholic society of Drohobych.
In 2007 in front of Church was set the monument of Blessed Pope John Paul II.
Also in front of St. Bartholomew church there is monument to Yuriy Drohobych Kotermak (1450-1494) – he was the first famous doctor of medicine of Ukrainian origin. He was born and grew in Drohobych, studied in Lviv, Krakow, Bologna. He was professor of medicine and astronomy at Krakow University, where one of his student was famous polish astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus. Also Yuriy Drohobych was the rector of Bologna University.
Modern Greek Catholic Church of St. Trinity was redesign from defensive monastery of Carmelites, which was established in 1690 by elder of Drohobych Martin Khomentovski. At the early XIX century monastery was passed to magistrate, in 1813 – to Basilians for terms that they will save school there.
One of the most beautiful buildings in Drohobych is Monastery of St. Peter and Paul, built in 1825-1828.
The significant sites of wooden architecture will be interesting to visit too. Church of the Honest Cross was put up at the beginning of XVI centure and was enlarged in 1661. Paintings of XVII century were saved inside Church.
St. George Church was constructed at the end of XV – at the beginning of XVI centuries in village Nadievo. It was transferred to Drogobych in 1657. The bell tower was built in 1670. Iconostasis was created in 1659 and it’s steel viewly. Legend tells that at that place unteel 1657 was St George Church, that was ruined during the Tartars and Cossaks of Khmel’nitsky attacking city. Tample was rebuild few times and now it’s three log construction church with Baroque shingles domes. Paintings inside and outside on the walls of Church were saved. Fresco paintings were executed under guidance of Stehpan Medyc’ky in the XVII century.
Also there are ruins of biggest choral synagogue (1842-1856) in Galicia are in Drohobych.
One of the most interesting example of secular architecture is Bianka’s Villa – wonderful illustration of Vienna Secession that dominated in architecture XIX-XX centuries. Now the Palace of Art of Drohobych is there.
Since foundation of city, salt production was one of the main business of inhabitans of Drohobych. Beginning of settlement was connected with detection of subsurface source of bittern. Even on the coat of arms of Drohobych there are 9 heatings of salt represented on a blue background. Production of salt was conducted by very simple method – bittern was heated and salt was burned in heating. In the XIV-XVI centuries the city was home of significant salt industry. But first mention of such function related to 1392 to letter of Pope Bonifatius IX. With salt industry connected other place of interest - brine pit.
The stormy development of Drohobych was in XIX century. The first refinery was founded in 1866 and in 1881 there were 36 reworked oil factory.
With industrial evolution of Drogobych connected other one place of interest – Baroque style granaries (1778) that was built as seed elevator. It shows by itself brick building, covered shingles.