Homepage » Articles » Europe Travel Destinations » Tlumach
Registration Login

Follow us!

Site Search

Weather in Ukraine


30 Sep 2011 12:23 PM
Tlumach (up to 1939 - Tovmach) is a small city located in the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast, in western Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Tlumatsky Raion (district).

The current estimated population is around 8,800.

Tlumach is situated on the banks of the Tlumachyk stream (21 km from Ivano-Frankivsk). 

Tlumatsky Raion has some unique natural and historical monuments. Some of them are following:
- Natural landmarks "Nyzhnivske". Area - 53 ha. "Nyzhnivske” belongs to Klubivets Forestry. Eutrofneswamp with the adjacent medieval hornbeam forest. Rare Prydnistrov'ya plants are growing there (yellow jugs and cicuta poisonous). A rare fernspecies - schytnyk Robert is found on the rocks in the forest. 
- Botanical preserves of local impotance "Puhachivka" (area of 4 ha.), "Meleneschyna" (area of 2 ha.), "Tsovdry", "The Settlement". The system of high hills with removing layer by layer of gypsum, covered a natural xeropolum. 
- Caves are near the village Odayiv.


The foundation of Tlumach belongs to the 12th century. Under the reign of Yaroslav Osmomysl, settlement of tovmaches was founded near the Dniester River. Princely people lived there. They were as translators in negotiations with delegates of foreign countries. That explains the name of this settlement – Tovmach (Polish - Tlumach). It is mentioned in Ipatiy chronicles in 1213 year. At the end of 14th - 15th centuries there are blacksmiths, barbers, bricklayers, farmers among the residents of the town. In 1448 Tlumach received Magdeburg rights.

The town passed to Austria in 1772, and reverted to Poland between the two world wars. An organized community existed there from the 18th century. The Jews in Tlumach were mainly occupied in small scale commerce and crafts, the wealthier ones engaging in trade in timber and the production of alcoholic beverages. Chasidism gained adherents there during the 19th century. 

On July 5, 1941, after the outbreak of the German-Soviet war, Tlumach was taken by the Hungarian allies of Germany. In September 1941 the town was handed over to direct German administration. The leaders of the Jewish intelligentsia were killed, including the chairman of the Judenrat, Eliasz Redner. In the winter of 1941-42 many Jews were seized and sent to work camps in the area.

On April 3, 1942, 1,200 Jews, including those from the surrounding area, were concentrated and deported to Stanislawow where they were murdered. Subsequently, a ghetto was established in which 3000 Jews, including those from the surrounding area, were concentrated. 

The community in Tlumach was not reconstituted after the war.

Tlumatsky Raion Museums 

Room-museum of Mariyka Pidhiryanka (Tlumach, Shevchenko street, 12, tel. (03479) 2-25-76); 
Museum of Ethnography and Mode of Life of District (Tlumach, Grushevsky street, 2, tel. (03479) 2-21-81, 2-12-91);
Obertyn Historical Museum (Obertyn village, school, tel (03479) 4-33-34);
Memorial museum of sculptor Michael Brynsky (Dolyna village, school, tel. (03479) 6-52-46, 6-52-28);
National Historical Museum of Bortnyky (Bortnyky, school, tel. (03479) 6-23-36, (03479) 6-23-21);
Museum of Pater Holeyko (Hostiv village, Pater Peter Holeyko street, tel. (03479) 6-12-05);
Exhibition Hall (People's House, Hrushevsky street, 2, tel. (03479) 2-12-81, 02/12/91).


In the villages of district there are many craftsmen which sell their works:
Pylyponko Paraska Oleksiivna - an artist, embroideress (Nyzhniv village);
Kaskiv Dmytro - a carver, master of wicker weaving, and folk embroidery (Nyzhniv village);
Kirkushi Vasyl – a carver (Nyzhniv village);
Tsymbalyuk Vasyl – a painter, carpenter, carver (Sokyrchyn village);
Hnatiuk Evdokia – an Embroideress (Pidverbtsi village).


There are hang-gliding in villages Odayiv, Isakiv and Pidverbtsi. These villages are located on a steep bank of the Dniester. Every year there is held the Open Ukraine Championship on hang-gliding and paragliding, where dozens of sportsmen-professionals going.

Must See in Tlumatsky Raion

Church of Resurrection of Lord (1770) (Pidverbtsi village);
Church of Protection of Blessed Virgin Mary (1875), wooden (Dolyna village);
Church of Introduction to the Temple of Blessed Virgin Mary (1852), wooden (Nyzhniv village);
Church of Exaltation of Honest Cross (1878), wooden (Odayiv village);
Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius (1882) (Obertyn village).

Historical Places

Mill (XIX century) (Nyzhniv village).
Settlements, flint galleries, chronicle’s town Bykoven  (Paleolithic,Mesolithic, Neolithic, Bronze Age, early Iron Age, Roman times, Kievan Rus) (Bukivna village).

Reserves / preserves / monuments of nature:
Tlumach park;
Dniester regional landscape park;
Natural landmarks "Nyzhnivske" (Klubivtsi Forestry);
The tract "Puhachivka" (near Harasymiv village);
The tract "Tsovdry" (near Hrushka village);
Karst caves: Stalactite, Wet and Vertical (Lokitka village);
Waterfall "Girlish Tears" (Isakiv village).

Touristic route

Pidverbtsi village – nature monument of local importance "Danchytsya" (Dolyna village) – Rakovets Castle (Horodenkivsky Raion).

Information point
People's House (Department of Culture and State Administration of Tourism).
Address: Tlumach, Hrushevsky street, 2, tel. (03479) 2-12-81, 2/12/91, (097) 790-07-95.

How to get to Tlumach
From Ivano-Frankivsk go by bus or fixed-route taxi to Tlumach. 

Category: Europe Travel Destinations, added by Celvin
Views: 650 | Rating: 5.0/1
Total comments: 0
Name *:
Code *:

Create a website for free 2010 - 2013 © Ukraine Vacation Guide